Huddle Up! Re-evaluating Your Office
Moving into a hybrid management role requires new skills in your toolbox. Our huddle coach, Judy Hissong, Nesso Strategies, lead our discussion on the significance of mindset, communication, and feedforward as firms embrace the new world ahead.
What We Learned from Our Coach:
- How to establish expectations
- Value of your mindset
- Developing fluency in competent communication
Remember Maslow’s hierarchy of needs:
- Self actualization: being the best you can be
- Esteem: Respect, freedom, recognition, status
- Safety: Security, employment, health
- Physiological: shelter, food, water, clothing
How can we create safety, a sense of security and belonging in the office? How are we building our resilience? Resilience has diminished and it's a muscle that needs to be rebuilt. As leaders, we need to think about how to help others build that muscle back too. Resilience happens when we answer our own questions.
- Performance- Tasks- What drives productivity? Performance?
- People- What personas can you create? Who in your organization needs blocks of interrupted time? Tools that align schedules?
- Projects- Workflow/work patterns? Redundancy? Automation? We are reinventing ourselves.
- Purpose- For a physical space?
KISS it (Keep it simple, silly)
What our attendees shared:
Firms are placing a priority on retention, recruiting, and generating a culture of appreciation. Our levels of empathy are going down as isolation has increased. Our listening skills has diminished. It's important to remember that being heard is worth everything. Find value in your employees, offer transparency, and allow flexibility.
One thing our firm can begin with today:
Lead through example. Be a compassionate employer and show resilience. Look back at your company culture, find your value, and show it. Change begins in bite sized pieces so start with the reminder of human connection.
President of Nesso Strategies
Judy Hissong is the President of Nesso Strategies. A former law firm Chief Operating Officer, she helps firms become more profitable by advising leaders in strategic and leadership development challenges. Her mission is “world domination for Good.” By creating actionable, lightbulb moments that leaders want to share and spread, she intends to improve the world one person at a time. When she’s not speaking, training and consulting, Judy teaches quarterly online workshops and facilitates Leaders Lab, a free monthly video conference that enables small groups of leaders to brainstorm strategies and solutions to work through common issues that keep firms stuck.